Monday, June 30, 2008

Back from Cork






So, as you might have guessed, I stayed at a hostel. It was a completely unique experience. On Saturday night, I was the first one to go to bed (mostly likely in the entire place, not just my room) but I could tell that I wouldn't be alone since the other 3 beds had things on them. Well, around 1:30, the first guy comes in and promptly falls asleep and starts snoring so loud that I think the pub down the street may come and ask him to keep it down. Clearly, I am not really sleeping. The next two come in somewhere between 4 and 5 am. They are so drunk that I can smell them and hear them before I can see them. The one is so loud and won't stop singing so I roll over to find out what the deal is only to find a guys bum right at my face. Then he falls over because he is too drunk to take his pants off I am guessing. Anyway, he doesn't stop singing for hours, falls out of his bed a couple of times before falling asleep and the snorer is so angry at the noise level. I had to secretly laugh because they two drunken guys, singing are not even close to as loud as he was. The next morning, the snorer actually asked me if I heard anything last night. What?! Yeah, small nearby villages heard.
Anyway, earlier in the day, I had a great time talking to a man that was at the desk of St. Anne's/Shandon Church. He was grateful to have someone to tell his stories all relating to the point of why Cork is the center of the universe and I was grateful to have someone to talk with. Eventually, he let me go up to the top of the tower without paying and told me that if I ever come back to Cork, I can stay in his spare room as long as I clean it. I spent the rest of the day going around to museums and galleries around the city. The weather in Cork is so much different from Ballyvaughan. I had short sleeves on and was wishing that I had brought shorts to Cork- it was sunny and no rain at all.

2 comments:

Maria said...

Woohoo! Sunny and warm! Did you get a farmer's tan?

LJFEIER said...

Yet another unique traveling experience. Hopefully you won't have to sleep in too many more hostels with roommates like that! The pictures you are taking are wonderful. I want my in-laws to see them in an effort to get them out of North America for their 30th wedding anniversary. :)
Hang in there, Joni, and continue to enjoy the uniqueness of the many places are are visiting.