Thursday, June 12, 2008

Art today?

Last night I went to Greene's, which is where the traditional Irish music was. I cannot believe that I was brave enough to walk in by myself. It is a super small room, nearly the size of my bedroom here. I had to choice to invite myself to sit with a couple of folks I am guessing around 50. There were from England and pretty much thought I was nuts for not only traveling by myself but also for walking into the place alone. As it turns out, it was filled with "blow ins" but I did manage to meet one local guy. I thought he was adorable with a very nice bum. Today I found out that he has a reputation for seeking out the american art students even though he has a girlfriend. Oh well, that's who I am and it is obvious I guess.

Today, I am actually working on art. I thought that I would be able to go to an opening reception in Limerick but the teacher/housemate obviously had a different idea. Apparently the Dean of the College can invite me but if my housemate (Melissa) doesn't want me, then I am screwed. Yes, I am bitter about that since she also made a point to ask the only other housemate that was home to go out to eat with her last night and now she snubs me this morning. This weekend, the one housemate who is really nice to me (Steve) is going away for the weekend. Without TV or a friend, I may just loose my mind in this SMALL town. Oh, I forgot to mention that I invited the two instructors to come to Greene's with me and they turned me down but showed up later. What the hell?

I suppose that I should go back to the freezing cold studio. I just needed to get a little heat back into my fingers. The locals think it feels like Autumn here. It seems Paige was correct to keep reminding me of the quote by Tom Sawyer(?), "The coldest winter I ever spent was summer in Ireland". I will say it again, I will still rather be cold than hot but I would like to feel my fingers, it's helps with the painting.

8 comments:

Julz said...

Aha! I get to be the first to leave you a comment on this post! So, when you did go to this pub, did you try any of the local brew? Did you tell the people there that you are a brave girl and you kick any guys butt? The Jo I know isn't scared of anything, well, except maybe spiders and moths. Were there spiders and moths there? You can handle stuff. You are a tough chick. I truly admire you for that.
Now, as far as this weekend. Take more pics. Brave it out and go to the studio and create. See if you can't get some sort of tv on the internet. Write a poem about your fav sister. There alot of things you could say!!! I don't even care if it's spelled right! As I tell Bri and Court, just sound it out. I'm getting really good at figuring stuff out. :-) After today, I'll be off my computer until Sunday. *gasp* How will I ever survive? I know I should get internet on my phone, but it's only for 3 days, hopefully I'll survive. Wish me luck! Love and miss you lots.... Julz

Jo said...

fbI feel the need to tell everyone that it isn't being alone that is the scary part. It's the walking that is scary. People drive like maniacs on these super tiny roads that literally cannot fit a small car and a tour bus. So, when a car drives by, you have to throw yourself into the brush against the stone fence. One student has already been hit by a car. She is OK but bruised. The side mirror of the car was in pieces on the side of the road. Needless to say, I can handle one on one sparring but I cannot win against a car moving 60 or more Kilometers per hour.

Jo said...

Now, reading my post, I also feel the need to explain that the keyboard here is slightly different so why I normally may have misspellings, I have more now.

Julz said...

Can you take a pic of the keyboard? I have seriously wondered about the keyboard thing. After reading some of Sarah af Sandeberg's stuff on facebook I was wondering how in the heck she does some of that on her keyboard. I would truly enjoy seeing a pic of the keyboard. I know I'm crazy, weird, but that should come as no surprise to you. :-)

paige3520 said...

Remember that you are on ONE of the trips of your lifetimes, and you are going to find your niche--I know you will! I didn't understand the thing on the reception in Limerick--are you dependent on the snubby roommate for a ride? Also, what do the locals do on the roads when walking? Maybe you should sew reflectors on your backside . . .and frontside so the cars can see you better. They could be strategically placed so as to get the driver to slow down to take a better look???. . . .I'm thinking the front reflectors could be placed in a type of triangular yield sign type of arrangement. . . . Also, how about jumping onto a bus to tour a different area of the country this weekend? Or paint. Draw. Write. I know you don't need time to yourself the way I crave it, but maybe a meditative type weekend??? Okay--keep posting--I check twice a day to see what you and others are writing. When you get back we should have a party so your sisters can meet your friends and vice versa. Hang in there and know I am sending you lots of good energy!

hellokittycar said...

Way to be a good girl, you know what would have happened if I would have met that cute Irish lad that night at the pub. Enough said.
As for the driving, it's a good thing I am not there, I saw your pics of the road signs..can you imagine me driving! I would be driving slower than the sheep on the roads... I am presuming there are sheep on the roads, there always are in movies. Okay, I have procrastinated enough, off to go clean the apt...or maybe organize my nail polish colors...I hate cleaning! Don't freeze, it's hot and humid here and it's sucking my will to live....okay, perhaps I am being dramatic.

Maria said...

Sounds like the adventures are continuing....sorry to hear about the student getting hit by a car. Who knew that walking would be so dangerous? No sidewalks there, huh. Bummer.

Hey, was the music any good at the pub? My senior year prom story goes a lot like the story of the instructors--I asked Mike Meyer to prom, he said he didn't want to go but amazingly asked Holly Schrupp to go with him to prom a week after I asked him. Grrr.....

As a person with an orange personality, I would like to express my sorrow that you have a roommate who snubs. The snubbing would make me feel bad. Do greens have the same reaction?

I hope you enjoy your weekend. I can't wait to see pictures of your first piece of artwork created in Ireland. Keep sending pictures and remember that all of us here are incredibly jealous of you.

Oh, and by the way, Eli rolled over today for the first time (now he can roll from belly to back AND back to belly)! Very exciting, but now I will never be able to set him down again and think he'll be in that same spot when I look again. Sadness.

ZachE said...

Hey Jo, just wanted to check in to see how your day was. I agree...it is enjoyable reading what you have done while you are there. hope your day today goes wonderful. Zach