Sunday, July 13, 2008

Bumpy ride

So, I left London yesterday (Sat) morning. My airport shuttle came early but luckily, I wasn't eating breakfast so I was ready to meet him at 6:30am. Much to my horror, I discovered that I was at the wrong airport when I couldn't retrieve my e-ticket. BLOODY HELL! So, the airport I was at didn't have any available seats so my only option was to try to catch the one I was supposed to be on. I took two trains back to the spot that I started in. I could have taken the tube from there to the correct airport but was told that would take me an hour, i.e. the time my flight was scheduled to leave. I took a taxi instead. So, roughly $120 later, I made it to the correct airport but there was a problem checking bags. That actually turned out to be a good thing because I wasn't the only one running late and therefore, the flight was delayed and I made it! Lets just say, I was thrilled to be leaving London at that point and moving onto a new venture.

Edinburgh is so much more for me. It's just a small fraction of the size so that helps. I can't figure out the bus system to save my soul but I don't care. I went to two modern art galleries when I got here and then the National Art Gallery. After, I bought a 24 hr ticket for a hop-on-hop-off tour. I rode it around the night before so that I could make the most out of today and I would have to say that it worked. I could always see more art but I am very satisfied with the things that I did see so I can't complain. I know that I ended up seeing more than I thought I would so that is really great.

Tomorrow morning I need to try to catch the bus back to the airport and then it's off to see Sarah in Sweden. I am getting really excited for this part. I am getting so desperate for seeing a familiar face that I keep seeing people who I am certain are doubles to my friends and family. Paige, I swear I have seen you several times in London as well as a former student, Eliza. In Scotland, the tour guide at the Edinburgh castle reminded me of a friend from Northfield. I could go on but you get the point. I am slightly nervous about not speaking Swedish but Sarah is going to meet me at the airport and take me by train to her place. Can you imagine me trying to get around in a country where they don't speak English? There were many times on this trip that I wasn't sure we were all speaking English.

I am looking forward to seeing you all very soon.

4 comments:

paige3520 said...

Sue and I did the wrong airport thing too--we flew into the wrong one in Glasgow on our way home and had to "taxi" it to the other airport to catch our flight home, so you are in good company there girly! Also, I must have dopplegangers everywhere, because I get a lot of that. I can't wait for you to get home so we can chat face to face and I can see your pictures! Have a great "rest of your trip"--you are home free now!

Unknown said...

Have a great time on the rest of your trip. Seems like even when trouble strikes you take it all in stride and are still having fun.
See you when you are back in the USA!

Maria said...

Jo, in so many ways it seems like you just left yesterday, but on the other hand, it feels like I haven't seen you in forever! Anyway, sorry to hear about the taxi expense, although I always say that every good vacation needs a $100+ added expense that is completely stupid--on my honeymoon I went to a "clinic", a term I'll use loosely when referring to the Mexican health care system, and my doctor's name was Dino and he looked like he was 14 years old (and keep in mind I was at the clinic for feminine reasons, if you know what I mean)! After the doctor, we visited the "pharamcia" where I got as close as I'll ever get to buying street drugs because we exchanged money and my "prescription" through a storefront security gate. After $175 of fun, all was well. So don't feel bad about the taxi--it happens! I hope the rest of your travels go well--we miss you and are sending happy thoughts your way!

Julz said...

Hey sis,
I feel sooo bad that I missed your call today. I wasn't up in Grygla, I was actually at church when you called. (I remembered to turn my cell phone off. Which I don't always do. LOL!) Tadd was a reader in church! He did a good job, it just surprised me. I hope you make it to Sarah's o.k. tomorrow and make sure you say "Hi" from me! I know this last part of the trip will be great! I'm sooo looking forward to your trip home. Been missing you the entire time!
Love,
Julz